Episode 3 of Hawkeye raises the bar yet again. I’m doing a new format for my reviews, more of a bullet-point format. Overall, the episode is the best MCU episode we’ve ever gotten, and there is so much plot development and character depth. There’s a strengths/weaknesses section, questions/comments/notes section, and then finally my rankings.
- Great debut episode for directing duo Bert & Bertie, excellent intro to Maya Lopez and who she is, as a character.
- Cinematography was OFF THE CHARTS, that continuous moving shot was the longest shot I’ve ever seen, and they pulled it off to perfection.
- Loved the VFX work. Again, flawless.
- Costumes were off the charts. Tracksuit Mafia especially, it’s comic-accurate, and hilarious.
- Alaqua Cox stuns as Maya Lopez/Echo, and somehow manages to blow Hailee Steinfeld away as well, who has been the focal point of the series so far.
- Enjoyed more of a Christmas-y feel this time around. Really loved what directing duo Bert & Bertie brought to the table.
- Marketing was wonderful for this episode. The TV spots, the cliffhanger that was teased, and even most of the Hawkeye section for Marvel Studios’ Disney+ Day 2021 Special was from the car chase.
- The score is…..nuts. Absolutely nuts. I love it so much, and I take back what I said in my episode 1 and 2 reviews. This score STANDS OUT from all others.
- Too short of an episode, only 43 minutes. I feel it could’ve been longer.
- Production design was a bit rough, some of the locations were poorly scouted/designed.
- The only scene where the writing fell apart was the escape from warehouse scene in the beginning. Would’ve been better had they showed more hand-to-hand combat from Kate, and didn’t have Clint dispatch them so easily.
- Will Clint be home in time for Christmas?
- Is “uncle” actually Kingpin?
- Who is Jack, where he deals in black market auctions and knows how to fight with a sword?
- Where is Yelena Belova?
- What is Sloan Ltd?
- Arguably the best episode of Marvel TV, ever.
- That cliffhanger…..can’t wait for episode 4, and I want to know more about this watch.
- Pym arrows? Like, what? LOVE IT so much.
- I’d like to see more of Kazi’s past explored. Who is he, as a person?
- Excited to see if a Ronin/Swordsman duel happens at somepoint.
- Kate talking with Yelena will be a sight to feast on, I want her in this series so badly.
- I would like to know if and how Madame Masque plays into the series.
- Directing: 10
- Writing: 9
- Acting: 11
- Cinematography: 10
- Score: 11
- VFX: 10
- Editing: 10
- Costume Design: 10
- Production Design: 7
- Marketing: 10
- Overall: 9.8
What did you think of the third episode of Hawkeye? Let us know by mentioning @ReviewedCinema on Twitter. The first three episodes of Hawkeye are now available on Disney+, and the fourth episode will release on December 8.